Friday, March 5, 2010

Oh, The Sacrifices of a Father

I have been thinking that once little Nyla enters this world in all of her cuteness and crying, I will have to make some sacrifices for some things to continue as they had prior to this. Observe the following examples:

*Ginny and her dad have been coaching little kid basketball for the past two years. I would imagine they will do that again for the upcoming season. I would always attend practice to help with fast break drills - I called it exercise but really was looking for proof that I can thoroughly dominate 2nd and 3rd graders. When December practices and games begin this year, I will dutifully stay home with Nyla. Never fear, however, for I will still get my basketball fix on. I will have a clipboard diagramming the intricacies of the 2-3 match-up zone, 1-3-1 zone, and the ever-popular 2-2-1 half court trap to the future All-American Kentucky Lady Wildcat. We will also watch game tape courtesy of this great time-waster at work and watch every Duke loss in the NCAA tournament since 2000. My only concerns are that she doesn't try to eat the clipboard marker and/or beat me in a game of "wet diaper" HORSE.

*Ginny is a puppet master... oh wait, that's not what I meant. But she is heading up/overseeing a new puppet ministry at our church. So for those Sundays in the first two or three months after Nyla is born when Ginny has to be at church, I again will humbly resign myself to staying home with my little girl. Again, I want you all to know that I will be ok. Nyla and I will get our church fix by making fun of and watching Joel Osteen.

*Then there is of course the inevitable Saturday when Ginny has to run errands around the town. What will she do? Leave knowing her loving Hubby will take good care of her daughter as both Hubby and daughter nap on the couch while watching golf. Because if the whole basketball thing doesn't work out, then perhaps a golf scholarship will.

I'm fully aware that this will cut into my social life and cramp my style, but, oh, the sacrifices a father will make... =)

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment